Friday, December 18, 2020

Answers to Prayers



For years, thousands of people prayed for Ali to get better, so why was that prayer not answered? Or was it? I wanted to share just some of the prayers that were answered for me. 


After Ali’s first relapse, I felt in my heart that Ali was needed home in Heaven. Why was she needed? I do not know. Perhaps she was just too perfect for this world and she didn’t need to learn and grow as much as the rest of us. Perhaps she needed to help others who have already passed or watch over those here on Earth with more ability to help without the physical restraints of a body.


As gut wrenching as this feeling was, it changed the way I prayed. I prayed I would be able to keep her with me, but tried to accept that His will be done. One of the biggest things I prayed for was more time. I prayed that if Heavenly Father needed her home, He wouldn’t take her until the absolute last second that needed her there. 


It was June 2019 when Ali was in the hospital awaiting her Car T cells to be made. The lab had made an error in processing time and what should have been a week turned into six weeks of waiting! At the time, Ali’s body was consumed with leukemia cells. I had no idea how she would be able to hold on. 


Ali had always been very involved in her fight. Never once did we ask her to keep fighting solely for our purpose. We made it very clear that we would fight with her and help her in any way she needed. That day, a member of the palliative care team came in to talk with me. She told me that even if Ali pulled through, I need to ask myself the question, “at what point do you choose quality of life over quantity”. In her opinion, she didn’t feel like I should put Ali through any more treatment. This was one of the hardest conversations. It just didn’t feel right to me.  For some reason, even though I saw the state my daughter was in, my gut told me that this wasn’t the end and we needed to push on. 


I remember praying that night, telling Heavenly Father what was in my heart and what I was feeling. I pleaded with Him that if pushing forward was right, he would bless me with more time. Although I knew the possibility of her outcome, I wasn’t ready yet to let her go.


July 1st, Ali was life flighted to the hospital where her cells were finally ready for her. Within a month, she was declared cancer free for the fifth time!






Although the leukemia didn’t stay away forever, we were given so much more time. Exactly what I had asked for. It reaffirmed to me that it is ok to ask for things. It is ok to plead with your Heavenly Father. He is your Father and WANTS to bless you. 


When she was admitted in September for sepsis, I prayed that she would be able to go home and spend more time with her family and those she loved. I didn’t want her to die in a hospital. Three weeks later, her organs were miraculously healing and she was able to go home where she spent five more weeks with her family. 




Time and time again I have been shown that if your desires are righteous and you are willing to accept His will regardless, He will answer your prayers as any loving Heavenly parent would. 


I really could go on and on about small yet mighty prayers that were answered. Some prayers where I couldn’t find something I needed. I would pray that He would help me and I’d look up and there it was! Some prayers where I felt alone. A knock on my door came with a note from a neighbor saying how much I was loved. Through these answers, I have developed a relationship with my Father in Heaven. I have learned that He is there. Always. 


I remember the night she passed away. It was one of the most excruciating nights of my life. Watching her struggle to breathe and knowing the end was near was incredibly emotional and painful. My husband and I didn’t know how long it would last as the hospice nurses told us it could be days. 


I prayed to Heavenly Father that if he were to take her, that He would take her before the kids woke up. I didn’t want them to see her this bad and wanted to shield them from any unnecessary pain. As the night continued, I humbly told my Father in Heaven that I trust Him. I trust Him in all things, including His timing. 


Ali passed away at 6:50 AM. Right before the kids were to wake up. Everything I had asked for. 


Although this journey has been one of the hardest roads I’ve ever walked, filled with unmeasurable pain, it has brought me closer to Him. I have felt joy in knowing that my prayers have been heard! That He hears me and loves me. He has taught me that it is ok to turn to Him. That I can trust Him! Sometimes prayers aren’t answered the way we want, or when we want, but as Elder Jeffery R. Holland has said, “they are always answered at the time and in the way an omniscient and eternally compassionate parent should answer them.”



15 comments:

  1. Although I’m Catholic, I loved reading this post. I’ve lost some of the most important people in my life to stupid cancer and shortly after lost my faith which was once such a big part of my life. I feel as though I talk to an empty abyss when I try and pray since everything has gone unanswered. To this day I struggle to understand why a God who is supposed to love us allows such bad things to happen, especially to such good and innocent people. Thinking of you and your sweet family 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s not God that makes bad things happen to us; it’s simply the frailty and imperfect nature of the human condition. God works in his time and death is a path to eternal life. Believe me— I’ve suffered many hard hard losses and watched a dear friend lose a child to cancer (my daughter’s classmate when they were in 5th grade) but God walk with us and everything is on His timeline— not ours. I pray you can find a good again and watch the miracles He will continue to work in your life because He never stops loving us.

      Delete
  2. I love you, Heather! You and your family are still in all of my prayers and I will always remember Ali. She is so special, it's impossible to forget her.
    Thank you for sharing such a personal and powerful testimony of prayer.
    -Macy Humiston

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful. I hope you always find your confort on Him. Praying for you and your family. Love, from Brazil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, thank you for sharing Ali with us. I’ve struggled not understanding why some prayers are answered, while others are. After reading this, I’m willing to accept things as how you’ve said. It’s hard not having prayers answered just as we hope, but I think you’ve got it right. I admire your strength even though you didn’t have a choice but to bear this burden. You did good Heather. You, your husband and kids did something so wonderful for Ali. I look forward to watching and hearing of your future and seeing the growth you all make from here on. Thinking of you always, Courtney DAnnunzio

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your daughter's story. My family and I are going through some similar situation, since my niece was diagnosed with leukemia in September. She has one of the most aggresive ones, and everyone in my family has lost their faith. And here I am, as you say, asking to the man above to help us, and with my faith stronger than ever. I hope you find comfort in knowing your beautiful Ali inspired many and continues to do so.
    Send you a big big hug. Greetings from Colombia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your words are simply beautiful as is your faith and trust in our loving Heavenly Father. Ali is so close by; I'm sure you can feel her love telling you she's ok. She has a great work to do but she'll also be there for you! And, thanks to forever families, you'll be able to finish raising her. Heather, you are an amazing person! I feel your love for Ali through all your words. I have grown to love Ali through my daily trips into your and Ali's lives in your posts. I too felt Ali's unique qualities. Only a very special mom such as you are could be entrusted with her special spirit in this mortal life. My heart shares the pain you are feeling. Take your time in grieving the loss of your beloved child. There's no set amount of time to grief. Ali will be waiting for you.

    With love and deep admiration,
    Carolyn Nelson

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing these precious moments of clarity. I add a heartfelt amen to all you have said. We do have a loving Heavenly Father and I can't wait for the day when I understand why all these hard things happen. I'm sure that when we see it from His perspective we will understand and be grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing with all of us. Yes, God answers prayers. I believe in miracles. He has answered sooo many of my prayers this past year. Praying for you and your family's strength and peace. Beautiful Ali I hope she comes to you in your dreams. In the lil whispers of the day. In the breeze and let you know she's right there with you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for sharing your raw emotions and your strength. Ali is so blessed to have you as her momma. Her strength, wisdom and positivity came from you. Know you have embedded that in all your children and they are so blessed to have you. Take time to grieve as well. It is a path to healing. Ali will always be right by side your side and within you. Sending you so much love and healing energy. As a mom watching her daughter go through treatments for leukemia right now, I understand a tiny, tiny glimpse of what you have had to endure. You are a true Warrior. My faith has grown through this journey. Prayers and light to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heather and Jess,
    I am so grateful to you for sharing this story and for sharing your sweet Ali with us. She has truly inspired is all to always see the silver lining as have you.
    You have helped me in more ways then you know from a distance, especially in the last few years. Know that I love you, my family loves you and that you will all always be near and dear to our hearts. ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heather, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and beautiful family with us all. For a while, I thought of so many questions for God. Honestly, I just couldn't understand why bad things happen to good people. After seeing the world through Ali's eyes, many things just started to make sense. God is always with us, but it is up to us to acknowledge his blessings. Thank you Ali and thank you Herbert family. You all are forever in my heart.

    Nikki Marie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Que testemunho 🙌😭! Deus é contigo !

    ReplyDelete